Why Gymnastics? Well first of all, because it’s FUN! Besides that? Well the list is enormous!
The skills children gain from participation in gymnastics will continue benefiting them throughout their lives! Gymnasts gain advanced physical ability, confidence, pride, self worth & respect, focus, determination and dedication.
Other benefits include learning goal setting, healthy lifestyle and good nutrition, travel, and Friends for life!
That’s the short version; keep reading for more….
- An increase in muscular strength, flexibility and endurance
- The ability to relax
- Correct body alignment while walking, standing, jumping etc. (posture)
- The knowledge of how to fall and roll safely
- Increased agility, coordination and balance
- Awareness of the body
- Awareness of space and where the body is in it
- Awareness of relationships: body parts to each other and the apparatus
- The joy of movement mastery
- Discipline and self control
- The exercise habit as a pleasurable daily occurrence
- Higher self esteem
- A confident self image and a positive attitude towards their bodies
- Trust in one's own abilities: move from a world of "I can't" to "I can"
- Learning to cope with stress and overcome fears
- Learning to monitor a situation and respond to it
- Problem solving skills
- understanding socially acceptable behavior
- respect for other people and coaches
- manners, sharing and waiting for a turn
- Friends with common interests and goals
Lingual & Educational Benefits
- encourages the correct use of language when referring to skills, apparatus and motions
- opportunity to express their feelings and opinions
- reinforces and enhances vocabulary, beneath / behind, left, right, counting, shapes, colours etc.
- provides educational experiences